In today’s static lifestyle, heart diseases are becoming extremely familiar among all age groups which also includes the younger generation. Besides, strokes can be caused due to chronically unhealthy eating habits. However, making certain alterations to your lifestyle, such as following a regular exercise regime and eating a healthy diet can significantly reduce the risk of developing a heart ailment. Keeping up with the changing lifestyles, Aster Hospitals has been continually delivering unparalleled healthcare services over 33 years and has made its stance of being one of the best heart hospitals in Dubai.
Cardiology or Cardiac Sciences is a medical speciality concerned with disorders of the heart. It deals with the diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, electrophysiology, heart failure, valvular heart disease and even those unique in nature. It also covers the gambit of heart transplants.
When does one need to consult a Cardiologist?
If a person has symptoms of a heart condition, you may be asked to consult a cardiologist for further diagnosis. Symptoms of a heart problem include:
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the chest
- Changes in heartbeat, rate or rhythm
- High blood pressure
Some of the Specialized Services of the Cardiology Department include:
- 24-hour Holter monitoring: A Holter monitor is a medical device that is used to record the heartbeat and check for unusual signs. The monitor is attached to the body as per the standard ECG. Doctors may suggest 24-hour monitoring if they need any additional information regarding a person’s heart, after having used standard electrocardiography.
- ECG (electrocardiogram):An electrocardiogram, commonly known as an ECG, is used to check for signs of heart disease. It’s a test that tracks the electrical activity through small electrode patches that are attached to the skin of your chest, arms and legs.
- Pharmacological arrhythmia therapy: An arrhythmia denotes an abnormal heartbeat - too fast, too slow, too early, or an irregular heartbeat. Its treatment depends on the type and severity
- Treatment options include: medications, lifestyle modification, invasive therapies, electrical devices or surgery.
- 3D Echocardiogram:Here, an ultrasound technique is used to take pictures of the heart. It displays a cross-sectional ‘slice’ of the beating heart, showing chambers, valves and other major blood vessels of the heart.
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab:Also known as a coronary angiogram, cardiac catheterization is a procedure that allows the doctors to examine how well your blood vessels supply your heart. It’s also used to check the functioning of your heart muscle and helps detect rheumatic heart disease.
Treatments & Procedures
Aster Hospitals is renowned for its advancement in medical technology and cutting-edge infrastructure which primarily focuses on providing advanced healthcare services to our patients. We aim to offer world-class cardiac care and services, along with various diagnostic tests that are quality driven, comprehensive and patient-centric, performed by an erudite team of pioneering physicians, while making the most of leading-edge technology.
Treatments for heart disease usually involves:
- Lifestyle alterations: Consuming a low-fat and low-sodium diet, getting at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise on most days of the week, quitting smoking and limiting alcohol.
- Medications: If lifestyle changes aren’t adequate, you may be prescribed medications to control your heart disease. Heart disease treatments vary by condition. For instance, if you’re diagnosed with a heart infection, you’ll likely be given antibiotics. The type of medication will completely depend upon the type of heart disease. Medications will also be prescribed if you have heart attack symptoms.
- Medical procedures or surgery: It’s possible you will be recommended specific medical procedures or surgeries. The type of procedure will depend on the type of heart ailment and the extent of the damage caused to your heart due to coronary artery disease.
Treatment programs are tailored to the patient’s needs by specialists, followed by a regular check-up by the support team. Some of the treatments we provide at Aster Hospitals include:
- Palliative Care: The goal of palliative care is to help patients live a better life by relieving symptoms and improving their quality of life. It can be provided when it is required, no matter how critical the condition is. It is of great use when it comes to heart attack treatment too.
Palliative care can provide:
- Relief from pain and symptoms of heart failure
- Making complex treatment decisions easy
- Assistance with practical issues
- Exercise Electrocardiography or Stress Tests (TMT): EKGs and stress tests are tests that aid your doctor in assessing the condition of your heart. You may require these tests if you have symptoms of heart disease, like chest pain.
- Evaluation of Pulmonary Vascular Disease: It simply means any condition that affects the blood vessels along the route between the heart and lungs. Based on an individual’s symptoms, signs and history, a doctor may begin to suspect the presence of pulmonary vascular disease. The following tests used are:
- CT scan
- Ventilation/perfusion scan
- Right heart catheterization
- Chest X-ray film
- Pulmonary angiogram
- Coronary angiography
- Colour Doppler study of the heart:Sometimes, doctors find a way to use technology that strikes the right chords- it’s easy on your body, gives prompt results and doesn’t cause any side effects. That’s just the case with the Doppler ultrasound, which helps doctors in finding out what’s going on inside a patient’s body without injections or X-rays. Instead, it converts sound waves into images. It can be used to detect issues with blood flow, such as clots in your veins or blockages in your arteries.
- Rheumatic heart disease, although extremely rare, is a condition in which the heart valves have been permanently damaged by rheumatic fever, scarlet fever or strep throat. The heart valve damage may start shortly after untreated or under-treated streptococcal infection such as strep throat or scarlet fever.
Why Choose Aster Hospitals
- Holistic approach: Aster Hospitals’ long history of pioneering medical research means patients have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic procedures. Our cardiologists are constantly thriving to improve diagnosis and therapies for patients.
- Collaborative Care: Cardiovascular surgeons at Aster Hospitals work as a unified, multidisciplinary team of doctors and healthcare professionals who provide personalized care to each and every patient
- Focus is on you: Having all the expertise under one roof means that you have a comprehensive multidisciplinary diagnosis and are monitored by an entire team of specialists. Your test results are available quickly, and appointments are scheduled on time.