Common skin conditions in the UAE during the summer
The Middle East, and especially the UAE, is known for its searing hot summer conditions. Being a country that is surrounded by the harsh, unrelenting desert, the UAE can get extremely hot between the months of April and September. It is only towards the end of the year, that the temperatures start to cool down and a mild winter sets in. Apart from the obvious lifestyle discomforts that such high temperatures bring about, the more harmful side effects of the heat, humidity and high intensity of sunlight are the damage that they cause to the skin. Skin treatment in UAE during the summer months is primarily geared towards the treatment and diagnosis of the conditions such as sun burn, summer rash, summer acne, dry skin, skin fungal infection, athlete’s foot, and skin cancer. Listed below are some steps at self-management that you can take in order to protect yourself from aggravating the listed skin ailments.
- Sun burn: Sun burn is more common in those people with lighter skin, due to the lack of melanin in it. A severe sunburn can cause immense pain and eventually result in the skin peeling. A recommended skin treatment in UAE for sunburn is to use high SPF sun screens before stepping out during the summers. And in case you do get a sunburn, apply some after-sun moisturizer after taking a full body bath with cold water.
- Summer rash: Summer rashes usually manifest themselves in the form of itchy and red skin, and can be caused due to the excessive sweating caused by heat. Summer rash skin treatment in UAE is fairly straightforward. It is recommended that you wear loose fitting clothes that are preferably made of cotton, so that you can allow your skin to breathe even when it gets hot and humid.
- Summer acne: Is similar to regular acne in terms of its effects, but unlike regular acne it occurs in women that apply heavy layers of makeup during the hot summer months. The layers of makeup block the pores and prevent the facial skin from breathing. Avoiding heavy makeup and using a deep facial cleanse are the suggested solutions of summer acne skin treatment in UAE.
- Dry skin: Although this is a condition that is primarily associated with the winter, dry skin can have its effects during the summer as well. The high temperatures cause our bodies to lose water rapidly, thereby resulting in our skin getting dry and flaky. The recommended skin treatment in UAE for dry skin is to keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Skin fungal infection/Athlete’s Foot: The chances of getting a fungal infection increase in the summer due to the tight clothes and excessive sweating that takes place. Athlete’s foot is also a type of fungal infection that occurs in the feet, in the crevices between your toes. It is suggested that you ensure that your skin is always clean and not oily, especially after you come back indoors.
Skin treatment in UAE during the summer mostly involves taking the necessary precautions for your skin so that it can combat the brutal heat and humidity. However, conditions such as melanoma (skin cancer) also form a percentage of the skin diseases that affect the residents of the UAE. If none of your symptoms match the ones listed above, or if they persist or get worse over a period of time, then consult your trusted dermatologist. Caught early, melanoma too can be treated.