The Aster Integrated Liver Care (ILC) Program at Aster Hospital in Mankhool now offers expert services for the comprehensive management of liver, biliary tract and pancreatic diseases in both adults and children.
The Aster ILC Program in Dubai is an extension of our Liver Care program at Aster Medcity, Kochi and Aster CMI Hospital, Bangalore. Consultant Doctors from the ILC Team in India are now available at Aster Hospital in Dubai. All consultants of the Aster ILC team are trained at some of the best hospitals in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, and have a collective experience of over 5000 major hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgeries and 2000 liver transplants.
The following services are available at our hospital as part of the Aster ILC Program.
- Management of adults suffering from Liver Diseases: Evaluation and management of patients with acute and chronic hepatitis, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, fatty liver disease, autoimmune liver disease, jaundice, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and liver failure.
- Management of children suffering from Liver Diseases: Evaluation and management of newborns, infants and children with jaundice and liver problems. We offer complete metabolic work-up, genetic testing and liver biopsy.
- Assessment and treatment of patients suffering from cancer of the liver, gallbladder, bile duct and pancreas: Patients with suspected cancer of the liver, bile duct, gallbladder, pancreas, colon cancer with liver metastases, neuroendocrine tumors, cystic tumors of pancreas
- Liver Surgeries including major liver resections (Hepatectomy): Our surgical team has a wide experience in complex resection surgeries for benign and malignant diseases of the liver such as liver cysts, liver cancer, bile duct cancers (Cholangiocarcinoma) and other liver tumors. Our surgeons also perform minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery for liver resections.
- Complex Biliary tract and Pancreatic surgeries: Our surgical team is experienced in surgeries for the biliary tract and pancreas. Pancreatic cancer surgery (Whipple Pancreatoduodenectomy), surgery for chronic pancreatitis (pancreato-jejunostomy, Frey’s pancreatectomy), surgical removal of cystic tumors of pancreas, excision of choledochal cysts, and bile duct reconstructions are done by our experienced surgeons. Several of these procedures can also be done by laparoscopy also.
- Laparoscopic liver and pancreatic surgeries: Most complex liver and pancreatic surgeries are traditionally done by the open route in which the patient gets a long incision on the abdominal wall. It is now possible to perform several of these major surgeries by the minimally invasive laparoscopic route using keyhole-sized incisions. This allows faster recovery after surgery and less pain.
- Counseling and assessment for Liver Transplantation: Counseling and complete assessment of patients requiring liver transplantation is available at our center. Complete evaluation of potential living donors can be done. Co-ordination with our transplant program in India for further evaluation, and listing for cadaveric transplantation. Patients not eligible for cadaveric transplantation (non Indian Nationals) have the option to go to Aster Integrated Liver Care and Transplant Centers at either Aster Medcity Kochi or Aster CMI Hospital Bangalore in India.
- Post Liver Transplant Medical Care: We have transplant hepatologists in our team who provide with post-transplant long-term medical care of patients already undergone liver transplantation. Management of rejection and metabolic problems after transplantation. Co-ordination with our transplant program in India for specialized testing and medications.
- Liver Intensive Care (ICU) Service: Our intensive care unit is managed by an intensivists experienced in managing liver patients. We take care of patients with acute liver failure and decompensated cirrhosis. The unit works in close coordination with our Liver Intensive Care Unit in India and follows common protocols.
Endoscopy and ERCP for Bile duct and pancreatic problems: We offer ERCP for complex biliary and pancreatic cases as well as for post liver transplant biliary problems.
- Liver Imaging (CT scan, MRI and Liver Elastography/FibroScan): We have Liver Elastography or FibroScan, a test that can reveal any fibrosis or fatty deposits within the liver. It is a non-invasive, quick and simple test that works using ultrasound technology and gives an immediate result. Fibroscan is absolutely essential for patients suffering from fatty liver disease or any other form of chronic hepatitis. It helps the patient and doctor know exactly how much of the liver is damaged. It obviates the need for a liver biopsy in the majority of patients.
- Interventional Radiology: The various Intervention Radiology Services provided in our Aster ILC program include image guided percutaneous biopsies, trans-jugular liver biopsy, chemoembolization for liver cancers, Trans-jugular intra-hepatic portosystemic shunts (TIPS procedure), trans-venous obliteration of varices, and portosystemic shunt embolization. Currently Interventional Radiology services are available at our centers in India. We will soon be introducing these services in our hospital in Dubai.
- Liver Pathology: We perform percutaneous liver biopsies on adults and children and offer dedicated pathology reporting in coordination with our network Liver pathologists in India. Slides of Liver biopsy done elsewhere can also be sent to us for a second opinion.
- Metabolic and Genetic Testing for Liver Diseases: Through our partners in India and Europe, we offer a complete range of advanced testing for liver diseases. This also includes genomic testing with whole exome and whole genome sequencing. For pediatric patients, complete range of metabolic testing is available. The genetic and metabolic tests are extremely important for detailed evaluation of liver disease where the exact cause is not known on routine testing.
Patients suffering from the following conditions can seek opinion from our experts from the Aster Integrated Liver Care Program at Aster Hospital in Dubai.
- Chronic hepatitis
- Cirrhosis and portal hypertension
- Recurrent jaundice
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Hepatitis B and C
- Autoimmune liver disease
- Fatty liver disease
- Pregnant ladies with liver disease
- Liver, pancreatic and bile duct cancers
- Patients considering liver transplantation
- Pancreatic diseases – pancreatitis, pancreas cancer, neuroendocrine tumors
- Newborns, infants and children with jaundice and liver disease
- Post liver transplant patients for regular follow-up